After a two-year wait, Music that Makes Community is excited to visit Annapolis, Maryland for a One-Day Paperless Music Workshop at St. Margaret's Episcopal Church.
We’ll gather on Saturday, October 22, from 9 am to 4:30 pm for a renewing day of building community through congregational singing, learning, and fellowship. During our time together we’ll:
- Explore a practice of paperless (oral tradition) singing leadership grounded in a spirit of welcome and generosity
- Engage models of teaching and leading that welcome our bodies, hearts, and minds
- Experience music reflective of the growing diversity of our communities and celebrating our rich spiritual and liturgical traditions
- Experience building community and strengthening relationships through community and congregational singing
Choir directors, clergy, cantors, lay leaders, and those who love to sing are warmly welcomed. Each person will leave with new music to share, as well as experiences of learning and teaching songs applicable to their context.
The event is generously sponsored by a grant from the Episcopal Church’s Roanridge Trust and the Missions Commission of St. Margaret’s Church, Annapolis, MD
Registration fees are on a sliding scale, from $40 to 80/person, including workshop materials, lunch, and refreshments throughout the day. We ask you to pay what is generous and affordable for you with gratitude for the time and skill of our presenters. Scholarship support is available, and we do not want cost to prevent anyone’s participation.
Please contact Charlotte Moroz at [email protected] or (929) 266-4662 if you have any questions.
We will follow the guidelines at St. Margaret’s Church in place at the time of the event and will take precautions to ensure the safety and well-being of all participants. The room will be well-ventilated, we’ll take regular breaks, and follow the CDC's best practices for in-person gathering.
Additional Learning Opportunities:
- We'll offer an Intergenerational Community SING on Friday, October 21 at 7 p.m. ET. This 75-minute event is free and open to all who love to sing.
- MMC facilitators will share musical leadership for the 9:00am and 11:15am liturgies at St. Margaret's Church on Sunday, October 23
1601 Pleasant Plains Rd
Annapolis, MD 21409
Google map and directions
Music that Makes Community is excited to offer a One-Day Workshop before the Annual Conference of The Hymn Society. We'll gather at Church of the Pilgrims in Washington D.C. on Saturday, July 16 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to:
- sing aural/oral tradition songs from diverse cultures, musical backgrounds, and faith expressions;
- explore leadership skills that empower you to share song in your context;
- worship and reflect together, deepening into spaces of listening and empathy;
- experience how the energy we create through singing affects our human lives.
The event is generously supported by a grant from the Endowment of Immanuel Presbyterian Church in McLean, VA.
The individual registration is $150, which includes workshop materials, lunch, and refreshments throughout the day. Scholarship support is available, and we do not want cost to prevent anyone’s participation. Register here!
A special rate of $50 is available for up to 20 participants from the National Capital Presbytery (clergy musicians, and lay leaders). Find a link to this special registration rate here.
We will follow the guidelines of the congregation in place at the time of the event and are taking precautions to ensure the safety and well-being of all participants. The room will be well-ventilated, we’ll take regular breaks, and follow the CDC's best practices for in-person gathering.
2201 P St NW
Washington, DC 20037
Google map and directions
There are three types of events listed on our calendar:
- MMC Workshops planned collaboratively with hosts around the United States and Canada;
- Local Practice Groups led by presenters and participants from the Music that Makes Community network, providing opportunities to hone our skills and support one another in song leading;
- Community Events presented by organizations affiliated with MMC for the benefit of the wider musical community.
Registration Fee: $110/individual, $100/duo
Discounts are available for students, seminarians, and seniors.
Use the form below to register and pay tuition using PayPal or a credit card. If you'd like to pay by check, skip this form and email [email protected] to let us know you're coming so we can save a place for you. Checks should be made out to Music that Makes Community.
If you are registering someone other than yourself, or paying tuition for more than one person, please make sure to include the names and email addresses of all of the people you are registering.